- Web Servers
- This is a really long article, but it’s broken down into names pages so it was easy to read through. The article goes into more detail about how web servers, client or user machines and the internet work. A user computer’s browser translates the server name into an IP address and uses it to connect to the server machine. After the browser requests the file from the server, the server sends the HTML text to the browser and the browser reads the file so that the page can be formatted to the user computer’s screen.
- Backend Coding
- Backend development is created using server side language and database. The backend developer takes front end code and puts it into an application where everything is displayed using data stored on a database. There are also frameworks that the backend coders use to make the code faster and simpler. Backend code is responsible for making a page interactive, like signing up for a newsletter or shopping.
- Content Management Systems
- A content management system allows the user, owner or administrator of a site, to make changes and have more control over their website without having to know code. This makes it easy for users to keep their sites updated without having a developer make the changes to the code. Some content management systems include WordPress, Joomla and Drupal. Each one has their own advantages and disadvantages.
- Mobile Websites, .Mobi sites and Responsive Web design
- There are two ways to make a mobile website. One way is to make a .Mobi site. .Mobi sites are optimized to be viewed on a mobile device. Sites can load faster because there is less bandwidth being used. They are also more likely to be found than .com sites on mobile searches. The other way is to use responsive web design so that existing websites will readjust for the size screen they are being viewed on. Sites that use code to convert to mobile layout can be slower to load than .mobi sites.
- Social Media Marketing
- Social media marketing can increase sales while decreasing marketing costs. According to this article, 80% of marketers indicated that their social media efforts increased traffic to their websites. Social media marketing can increase brand recognition and brand loyalty. It can also give a company a better understanding of their customer and also relate to their customers better.